It’s that time of year again: the now-annual Swiss trivia quiz is back! As always, it’s a much shorter version of a quiz I created for the British-Swiss Chamber of Commerce in Zurich. It was quiz night last night, and well done to the winning team; The Untouchables.
Now it’s your turn! If you need help, don’t just Google it. Many of the answers are on this website or in one of my books. Or you could even phone a friend. The General Knowledge round this year has a special twist to celebrate 1863, the year of the first Thomas Cook tour to Switzerland. The questions still need only general knowledge although if you’ve already read Slow Train to Switzerland then you’ll have a head-start.
There are no prizes so it’s just for fun. Good luck!
- How long is the Swiss-Italian border: 643km, 744km, 845km?
- Which canton produces the most wine each year?
- What is the capital of Jura?
- Which is the main river flowing through the city of Lucerne?
- What is the name of the tallest building in Switzerland?
- Which organisation represented Switzerland at Eurovision this year?
- How many cantons voted against the Minder Initiative?
- Which team beat Switzerland in the final of the men’s ice hockey world championships?
- Where was the Eidgenossische Schwing- und Älplerfest held?
- The postcode (PLZ) 2013 is found in which Swiss canton?
Fun & Games
- In which year was the first successful ascent of the Matterhorn (pictured above)?
- Switzerland is in the World Cup finals next year but where are they being held?
- In which Swiss city are the IOC headquarters?
- Which team are the current holders of the Swiss Football Cup?
- Who wrote Swiss Family Robinson?
History & Politics
- How many stars appear on the cantonal flag of Aargau?
- When did Switzerland join the United Nations?
- Who was the first woman elected Swiss President?
- How many seats are there in the Ständerat, or upper house of federal parliament?
- In 1847 which two cities were joined by Switzerland’s first railway, the Spanisch-Brötli-Bahn?
General Knowledge from 1863
- The population of Switzerland was 1.5 million, 2.5 million, or 3.5 million people?
- Author Samuel Clemens used which famous pseudonym for the first time?
- The International Committee for Relief to the Wounded held its first meeting in Geneva. By what name is it now better known?
- Which US state seceded from its neighbour to become the 35th state of the USA?
- Who was sitting on the British throne?