How good is your Swiss general knowledge? How much do remember about 2012? Here’s a little quiz of trivia relating to Switzerland. It’s actually a much shorter version of a quiz I created for the British-Swiss Chamber of Commerce in Zurich. We had our quiz evening last night – a fun evening of laughs and head-scratching. Congratulations to all those who got these questions right.
Now it’s your turn! If you need help, then try looking in my new book, Swisscellany, which is packed with exactly such useful – and useless – information.
- Which four cantons begin with the letter S?
- The highest train station in Europe is 100 years old this year. What is it called?
- What do the letters CH stand for?
- Which is furthest north: Bern, Lucerne or Chur?
- Which canton has the most cows?
History & Politics
- Who is the current President of Switzerland?
- Which is the oldest brand: Nestlé, Omega or Victorinox?
- Five cantons have never had a Federal Councillor. Name two.
- Which war was finally ended by the Treaty of Lausanne?
- In which year did Swiss women get the vote at federal level?
- Roger Federer won his 7th Wimbledon singles’ title this year; when did he win his first?
- Which country won its first football World Cup in the 1954 final, known as The Miracle of Bern?
- How many medals did Switzerland win at the 2012 Olympic Games?
- Which team are the current Swiss Football Champions?
- Which Swiss ski resort has twice hosted the Winter Olympics?
Arts & Entertainment
- Which British author wrote Treasure Island while recuperating in Davos?
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau was born 300 years ago this year but in which Swiss city?
- What was the first name of William Tell’s son, the one who stood under the apple?
- For which sci-fi film did Swiss artist H R Giger win an Oscar for Best Visual Effects in 1980?
- She was born in Strasbourg, lived in Bern and died in London in 1850, but by what married name is Marie Grosholtz better known?
- How many stars are round the edge of the current 1- and 2-franc coins?
- Only two countries have a square national flag: Switzerland and… ?
- In which Swiss city is Europe’s largest clock face?
- Which car maker emigrated from La Chaux-de-Fonds to Detroit?
- How do you say Switzerland in Romansh?
So how did you do? 25 out of 25, of course (and without using Google or Wikipedia). If you still need help with the answers, they are all here.